|HOME >> APPEAL
|Advanced Photon Science Open Network
(Advanced Physics with Photons, Electrons and Lasers)
|H. Ejiri a, for the APPEAL Collaboration
a JASRI SPring-8 and RCNP Osaka Univ.
Nov. 10, 2003
1. APPEAL (Advanced Physics with Photons, Electrons and Lasers) is an international network of scientists to promote GeV-MeV photon science and technology through open discussion and collaborative ventures. APPEAL is open to all interested scientists.
2. Advanced photon beams in the GeV-MeV region are obtained by the interaction of intense laser photons with GeV electrons.
3. Medium energy photon beams provide one with powerful probes for fundamental science of nuclear and astrophysics and for applied science and technology of GeV-MeV photons for energy and ecology.
4. APPEAL aims at developing new frontiers of science and technology with GeV-MeV photons in the 21 st century.
1. High quality photon beams have been extensively used for modern science and technology. Intense laser photons have recently been developed at several laboratories and new generation synchrotron radiation laboratories provide high quality sub-MeV photons for science and technology. Extension to GeV-MeV region is of great interest.
2. Recently high quality multi-GeV LEPS (laser electron photons at SPring-8) have been produced through the interaction of laser photons with 8 GeV electrons in the SPring-8 ring. The LEPS group (International collaboration) has recently identified for the first time a new penta-quark baryon. Exciting experiments with GeV and sub-GeV photons are also being carried out on at a number of synchrotron radiation laboratories.
3. Some recent promising technical developments and feasibility studies have made it possible to produce high quality MeV-GeV photon beams through the interaction of intense lasers with GeV electrons in a wide energy range of MeV-10GeV. In addition intense MeV photons can also be obtained from synchrotron radiation and high power lasers. The MeV-GeV photon beams are powerful probes for studying microscopic structures of matter, astronuclear processes and the quark structure of particles.
4. Intense MeV photons in 10-30 MeV region have been shown to be of potential interest for nuclear transmutation studies and thus for nuclear energy and ecological problems.
5. Intense positron and neutron beams are produced from medium energy photons and can be utilized for material science as well.
6. Current R &D programs on lasers and accelerators/rings that are under progress across the world are very impressive.
|Unique features of GeV-MeV PST Proposal|
1. New GeV-MeV photon beams produced by combining newly developed intense lasers and high energy GeV electrons. The medium energy photon beams with well-known EM interaction open the new astronuclear and particle science and technology.
2. Highly controlled cost-effective photon beams have been produced that are the clean probes required in this century.
3. The science and technology with MeV-GeV photons are based on those developed by groups and laboratories around the world.
4. Collaboration of competent groups/laboratories with original ideas and techniques in a free and open network is a very productive method for furthering advanced photon science and technology around the world.
5. Effective utilization and modifications of existing resources of strong brain/person powers and high-quality facilities.
|Current subjects of interest|
1. Quark nuclear physics by multi GeV photon beams.
2. Astronuclear processes and astroparticles by MeV photons.
3. Photonuclear reactions and nuclear transmutation by MeV photons.
4. Production of laser electron photons in the MeV-GeV region.
5. Production of high intensity laser photons. Laser isotope separation.
6. Protons, neutrons, heavy ions and positrons by intense MeV laser photons and their application.
7. Related science and technology.